PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 4th Oct 2005, 21:46
Daedal_oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trapezoid said:

Subsidised housing counts for nought if you buy and live in your own house as many military people do with the ADF posting stability policy.

Free medical and dental only covers you and counts for nought if you have a wife and kids and want private health cover for the family.
Nought?

Let's hypothesise for a moment.

Scenario 1: Say you have a young person two years from wings. They would be say a LEUT/LT/FLGOFF. Probably not married but looking to buy a home.

Salary package could be about $95 628 pa. This includes:

Salary and allowances: $67 430
Employer contribution to super $10 842 (I think about 18% of salary)

Home Deposit Assistance $13 788

Additional income needed to pay for equivalent housing $1179

Exemption from medicare because free health cover is provided $1011

Additional salary needed to purchase equivalent private medical insurance $1378

Scenario 2: Say you have a person who has been serving for about 15 years. LCDR/MAJ/SQNLDR. Married, a couple of kids. Lives in subsidised housing.

Salary package would be about $156 715

Salary and allowances $112 066
Employer super contribution $24 291 (23%)

Housing benefits worth $18 862

Health care benefits $1 496 not counting benefit of no-gap for the member concerned

Home deposit scheme available $13 788

(The first package counts one off benefits such as housing deposit. Subsequent years would be reduced but promotion and salary increments would increase the gross package accordingly.

The second package does not count the deposit assistance scheme. Yes, the package will be reduced if you live in your own home but we all make personal choices.)

Trapezoid, I'm sorry, I must have missed the nought bit in there somewhere. (Or are you just bent out of shape for some other reason??)

I am just going off to poke myself in the eye with a blunt stick!