PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sumburgh SAR Incident?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2005, 10:33
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also knowing a few of the guys up at Sumburgh I have read this post with interest!

As an ex-military SAR pilot, with many a successful mission behind me, I have been out on the dark and stormy nights winching to small vessels with a member of the crew risking life and limb on the end of a small wire. The 'boat axis' one is a new one for me, we discussed the job as a crew and judged the situation dependant upon the conditions and task. I do feel however that if breakaway action is required, for whatever reason, then 50-60kts lateral motion seems, in my opinion, somewhat excessive.

I don't know the whole story so can only offer my opinions as I see them that, with a live wire the aircraft must be handled gently as the lives of the crew and the casualty are at risk. Even a potentially catastrophic failure should be called with 'cut cut cut' with both front and back going for the cutter. What I haven't seen is anything suggesting a mechanical problem leading to the breakaway or any other supporting evidence hence I don't feel that accusations should fly.

Angelonawire, I hope that you enjoy Bond, I've always found the crewies to be a fun, down to earth bunch and have always enjoyed the flying and the banter. To the rest, SAR is flying in the face of the storm. Very few people get themselves into such trouble when the suns shining and the weathers nice. So can we stop the mud slinging, we all know that we are far more professional than that.

Duck down and wait