PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 Crew operating on the 737-200/300
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2005, 18:40
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidents happen on the ground enough that we need to be at our doors prepared for the unexpected like we should normally.
The last (and maybe only) evacuation that occurred in air2000 was in fact on the ground. People probably didn't even hear of it at the time because it happened quickly and everybody got out safely. Luckily the crew was at the back when she noticed thick smoke coming in, possibly from the APU and decided to evacuate. All other crews were near the doors and soon followed the command. Incidents, that if overlooked on have the potential to become accidents, do happen on the ground and I am with you girtbar 100%.

last week we had to fly with rear PA unserviceable. Our procedure is that demo PA is read from the back (even if not on minimum crew) but obviously we couldn't do it.

So we had to play the pre-recorded demo PA as we couldn't leave the rear doors unattended.

I think it's a super valid point crewboi83. Anything could happen on pushback or when the engines are started.

Have you ever seen a flare coming out of the engine on start up? It is "normal" in some circumstances, and I remember a few years ago in Italy a pax saw it from the window, panicked, and run towards the door. Thank god the cabin crew was there to stop him from opening the door while the engines were running!!!! Pax would almost certainly be able to open a door, but they wouldn't know WHEN it is safe to do so, especially if they're panicking. They wouldn't know that in some situations being inside is less dangerous than trying to get out (running engines and inflated slides don't really go together, not considering the effects of jet blast even when the engines are on idle on the ground!!!)

I'd talk to the safety department if I were you. If they don't want to listen....well, that's what CHIRP is for

FBW

Last edited by flybywire; 1st Oct 2005 at 18:51.