PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real VNE (moved from J B for more input)(and merged)
Old 29th Sep 2005, 15:55
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it all the time ....

The real Vne is the one marked on the ASI, you silly boy! I used to go there all the time. (What I fly now, if you don't pull back the throttles in cruise, will overspeed, when a loud horn sounds to tell the world that you haven't been paying attention, but that's not a small airplane.)

To go beyond that, into uncharted territory, well, no, I try not to go there, which is probably part of the reason I am sat here alive and well.

I assume you must have a car or a motorcycle or perhaps both. Ever taken one to the 'real' redline on the tachometre? I do that all the time; it is where the red zone starts. If you feel cheated because the engine didn't blow up, so that you want to go a bit further in search of the real, absolute limit, then you must be rich or stupid or both.

We had a saying in the States that if it weren't for Bonanzas then the world would be full of doctors. That's because that airplane is a bit slippery and if you get over your head and out of control on instruments it will very quickly get into that zone you are so curious about. Once you have seen an airplane reduced to little bits you lose your boyish enthusiasm for exploring the limits.

You might as well ask, 'Ever walked out onto stuff labelled, "Thin Ice"?