PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2005, 15:23
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The North Atlantic from Cork is dead for a long time to come. Yes, it is a shame and I was very bitter about it following the news a few weeks ago. Got to face facts though. The only transatlantic crossings in the short to mid term future will be the very odd bizjet going west because we all know how much Cork likes to entertain corporate aeroplanes looking for an overnight's parking.

The JFK cancellation is a black mark for the crowd at Cork but it wont stop the huffing and puffing about Ryanairs to Dublin and Gatwick and how great it is for Sean Citizen etc.

Yes, Lagerlout, we will see what Ryanair are made of come next summer but with a near immediate dropping of a STN rotation next January I remain quite suspicious of Ryanair in this matter. Bet Michael O'Leary in his Cork hurling jersey did not tell the boyos at Cork about that watering down of the STN-ORK schedule the day he was in town?

Cork is not Liverpool and she does not have the critical mass of population so there will be no base of substance at Cork and just to make sure of it being even less likely the 17 routes base at snn will not be put in danger because the much cuter boyos in charge at snn would not allow it to happen as long as they are giving FR freebies in the guise of marketing incentives etc.

Ryanair had very little interest in Cork until easyJet began in January. What does Ryanair's new, peculiar committment do for Cork? Among other things it serves to scare away other potential traffic? Remember, snn needs FR, Cork much less so.

However, as Lagerlout says, maybe I am getting it all wrong and we could be all in for the surprise of our lives at Cork next summer. If that is the case I will eat my hat and with salt too! It has been known to happen before!