PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Pilot Career in Austr./NZ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2005, 13:35
Boeing4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Two things I want to clarify are that if I would come 'down under', I would do so not just for training or just for a short period of time, but really to persue my career there, as a resident. Just as if I decide to return to the US, I would both train and stay there.

Another point I'd like to clarify is that I am not aiming for the highest paid or easiest to reach job, but am looking for long term quality of life and enjoyment of where I live.

Mattyj, you mentioned how it would be easier for me to go into Easyjet's or Ryanair's cadet scheme, and I do understand your view point, but I personally would not want to be a pilot for them (besides the fact that there is huge competition for them too). Flying very tight schedules very often on a relatively low salary, to then have to live somewhere in England (those who know about real estate prices in the UK know what I mean) is not what I am aiming for. I know that flying a small plane in the outback will not get me nearly as much pay, but the sense of adventure and possibility to see (and live in) a part of the world that is fascinating in my opinion (not just seeing the outside of the airport terminal for half an hour before turnaround) is worth the hardships involved.

I'm not saying that my career goal is to stay a bush pilot forever; eventually I would also like to reach the airlines, but that is not my primary concern. I want to be happy, that is my primary concern.

As far as pilot pay is concerned, tinpis and NoseGear, that is equally bad in other parts of the world, and thats why it is not really a factor in my decision. The grass is usually not greener on the other side of the fence.

Marco