PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon gun question
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2005, 00:51
Tarnished

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
OK then SVK, re-run your scenario with a gun-equipped Typhoon.

We fired a warning shot across her nose with the gun

What did she do then?

Nothing!

(Might have done something if we had tracer rounds)

OK, after she did nothing what did you do next?

Well, I wasn't going to take no reply for an answer so I fired a little bit closer to her nose and blow me, I hit it. She then rolled ever so gracefully onto her back and pulled through. Wish I'd fired an ASRAAM and taken an engine clean off leaving the pilot with a clear message and a single engine approach to do!!

There are some great pics around of an HS 125 somewhere in Africa that waas Fox 2'd by a Mig 21. Took the right engine clean off, a bit of schrapnel (sp?) to the right flap and a hydraulic leak but quite containable. Not saying ASRAAM would be so clean (its got a far better fuse and warhead). However, a single IR missile is unlikely to down an airliner.

Postman Plod, the crux of the story is money! When defence budgets are being stretched their Airships will do strange things to save a few quid "on paper". IMHO this is what actually happened here.

Treasury Neddy: Your Airship, looks like its either a gun in Typhoon or new carpets in your MQ.

Airship: What colour are the carpets going to be?

Sad but true, but rest assured the gun is still available given an UOR or some such catalyst.

Regards

Tarnished