PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon gun question
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2005, 01:15
Tarnished

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh FFS!

Agile ac + HMD + ASRAAM = all the capability you need close in iaw the Parliamentary answers provided by ex-Grunt

High spec supersonic performance + AMRAAM (Meteor) + Sensors + Data Link + Sensor Fusion + (Supporting ROE) = all the capability you need BVR iaw the Parliamentary answers provided by ex-Grunt

1985 European Air Staff Requirement (20 years old! see my earlier post) did not call for air to ground gun. It you want a proper AG gun look to the A-10. You can only use short range guns A-G when the enemy have been pretty well eliminated.

There are no inconsistencies to be "seen through" SODDIM

Despite what you might think RAKSHASA there is plenty of logic in the MOD

POSTMAN PLOD just how long do you think the F-3 is going to stay flying for?

SAFEWARE hit the nail on the head and he speaks with knowledge of the truth.

Folks, the days of unlimited defence budgets are long gone, the RAF today is (in manpower terms alone) exactly one third the size it was when I joined 25 years ago (and nearly 60% the size it was when I left 8 years ago). That is only 5 years before Typhoon's ESR was written.

So don't be surprised if a few things aren't perfect, but rest easy in the knowledge that since time began the frontline RAF has done wonderful things with the hand it was dealt. The Great British stiff upper lip and a spot of skill and cunning always seem to win the day.

In 1986 I did a NATO exchange with my Lightning Sqn and an NL based USAF F-15 sqn, The plaque on the photo we gave them said quite simply:

"With your kit and our ability....!"

In Typhoon we now have our own "Kit" to be proud of.

Tarnished