PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon gun question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 13:26
Soiled Glove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarnished,

I didn't mean to hit a raw nerve about this subject - well I did because these boards are more fun when they get outspoken and controversial!

I fully understand that contracts etc have to be honoured or penalised where the contract breaks down and that there is a financial aspect to all of this. As I said, the parent company will benefit from this due to the gross mis-management of the situation by the MOD.

If the RAF wanted to save money all they had to do was disconnect the gun lead and not go off on jollies to Akrotiri every summer. Instead they hyped the whole thing stating publicly that Typhoon didn't need a gun in RAF service and what a money saving decision they were making. Unfortunately my experience is that the whole procurement business is centred around individuals (military) who are posted to a job, have no formal training on what they are doing, haven't a clue when faced with company lawyers over contract negotiations and then once they have made a name for themselves, they get posted off again while the project is half completed and are probably promoted as they got their name in lights for making a radical decision.

The main problem is not with Industry - they just benefit (rightly or wrongly) from working with amateurs. Perhaps we should go down the US route of an Aquisition branch, whilst maybe not a popular posting it would at least provide continuity of Service people in the procurement world. I believe that the General in charge of JSF has actually been in the programme since he was a Lt Col - correct me if I am wrong - but that is continuity and is a far superior method of procurement to posting aviators and engineers for 2 year tours to Wyton and Abbey Wood.

SG

PS - shouldn't you be 'hunkering down' for the weekend?