PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC Terms and Endearment (Merged)
Old 21st Sep 2005, 18:41
expediteclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth (Well my truth anyway)

I've decided to finally post something on this site after just reading everyone elses opinion. I have to start by saying that although these posts are semi-anonymous it's going to be quite obvious to alot of people who I am but I have to say something....

I've been with ATNS for about 20 months now and i believe that i am the only foreigner to come to these shores from NATS.

There are some partial truths in what has already been said on this topic. Most of the controllers would be too afraid to be completely honest about the situation here.

Alot of controllers have left recently. Some for the first time, a few came back and then left again, and there are plenty that are just waiting for there chance to up sticks and get out.

Aside from the money issue, which in my experience is always an issue wherever you are, there is one huge problem within ATNS and it is getting worse by the minute.

That problem can be summed up in one word...F E A R. The policy of this company when it comes to incident reporting, investigating and then action is quite frankly scandalous. Coming from the NATS environment, in which controllers are encouraged to report incidents, even when they are to blame, people here are scared stiff.

It seems to me, that the attitude here, is that the controller is guilty until proven partly responsible. You would not believe the draconian nature in which controllers are treated if they make a mistake. Incidents which would not even be reportable abroad, are turned into major events here. Controllers get suspended for ridiculous periods of time and are then told to do the most extreme things to get their ratings back.

I'm not sure exactly how much i should divulge for fear of being sued, suffice to say that it makes the work environment extremely difficult.

Fear should never be used in an Air Traffic environment because it is completely counter-productive. Controller's will not 'push the envelope' at all here coz if they screw up they know that there will be hell to pay. So they play it very safe indeed.

Don't get me wrong. The pilots here, get an unbelievably good service with respect to climb profiles, requested levels, speed restrictions, etc. Especially in Cape Town coz it's not that busy.
And funnily enough, some of the pilots here still complain. That took me along time to understand, but i guess thats just the way it is.

There are some fantastic people working for ATNS, we have state of the art equipment, well the computer system anyway, but I am certain that if something drastic doesn't happen alot more people will leave.

A wholesale change of attitude towards the controllers would be a good place to start, but there are alot of other issues too. There is so much potential here, but I believe that a serious rethink is necessary if ATNS is to hold on to its more senior staff and secondly improve as an ATC provider.

Nuff said!

I just forgot one thing...

Cape Town is a bloody expensive place to live if you are earning Rand!!