PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you teach in the auto?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 15:39
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day during one of my first 206 training sessions, I had about 50 hours TOTAL, me and the instructor were headed towards the ground for a touchdown auto, when as I entered the flare I began to call out "1 Flare, 2 Collective, 3 Level, 4 Cushion" and I don't think I have ever had someone look at me with such bewilderment, he immediately took the controls and while staring at me got the thing on the ground and said in a very firm voice that if I ever thought that I could learn autos as a numerical or steps procedures I was never going to learn how to do it, he said that every auto is different, different weight, landing spot, aircraft, DA and that every auto required different inputs, he said you couldn't auto like following an instruction manual, you had to FLY the aircraft to the ground making only the necessary required inputs, sometimes more, sometimes less, and that the same auto could be flown different ways.

Then he proceeded to demonstrate an auto in which after an slight initial flare he froze the cyclic until we were stopped, then another one in which he did absolutely nothing but keep the aircraft level until we were stopped, finally one in which right after the flare once the aircraft was stopped he pedal turned the aircraft 90 degrees before it touched down from a TALL hover auto, and he said "you can't learn that by counting numbers or looking at the airspeed or RPM gauges!"

For example anyone who has flown a Bell 407 will tell you that if you are not careful about leveling a 407 after the flare it will speed up again like a Ferrari going from 0-100 in 3.6 seconds! In a 407 you almost hold the same cyclic position all the way to the ground after the flare , it will almost certainly (and mysteriously) level itself out without any input, and almost always touchdown heels first, if you are fast it will be almost like landing an airplane on the main gear first and then you lower the nose with stick, same here. Of course sometimes it requires completely different inputs to get it into a tight spot.

Last edited by BlenderPilot; 20th Sep 2005 at 15:50.