PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving flight safety in the future
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2005, 13:07
dervish

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

The only other way is through bitter experience, and we don't want to go there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m afraid it may be too late. I have been retired for some time now, but recall accidents where the precise cause was predicted in advance, but more senior staffs refused to mitigate the risk. There were usually two reasons. Lack of funding (easy to blame someone else) or the person having the final say had, as S-H says, no training or knowledge and therefore could not assimilate the facts. His default position was the status quo.

From what I gather the criticism of DLO and DPA is justified. Individual staffs with the necessary experience and knowledge are often great, but the IPTL and his “management team” are invariably those whose practical knowledge and vocabulary does not extend beyond what they hear at management seminars. As for lack of funding, I believe the Armed Services are reasonably well served, it’s just that it’s spent on the wrong things. Brown is probably right not handing out more when waste is so evident.

The solution is much the same. Get rid of the people who condone and practice the above and give rein to those who know.