PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2005, 09:19
Phoebe Buffet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Rain: Sooooo wrong - the age I am now I doubt if I will ever get command and when I signed up I did so in the knowledge that the 'goal posts' would more than likely be moved; it's a fact of life and as such I have never trusted my future to any management (or government for that matter) preferring to spread my pension over a few companies and invest in property. It would be very naive of me to act otherwise as I've heard too many dreadful stories about mismanagement in aviation and believe me I feel bad for everyone of those guys out there who have lost their jobs and their pensions and had to start all over again.

Aviation is no longer the cushy career it once was where the expectation was to sign up after school and work until retirement with the same company under the same rules of engagement nowadays it's a job in a very competitive market where accountants rule the day......as you so rightly say life doesn't always work out the way you planned; get over it and get on with it .

LHR Rain I really hope you get your command soon and you and Otterman must continue to fight your corner for the status quo but I can't help feeling that's a bit unrealistic.

I apologise if I've been a bit harsh and/or flippant in past posts that wasn't my intention it just seems so obvious to me that people are healthier and living longer and companies expect more so of course there will be changes.