PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 18:05
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am against the very idea of this arbitrary FAA age limit for flying. Always have been, actually. Of course, I never was an airline pilot. I just happen to be a pilot who now flies an airliner. That is the skill I want to market, you see.

I am due to 'retire' in just a few months at age 58, when I shall probably be offered an extension under roughly the same terms to work until 60. That is simply because it is difficult to find experienced people willing to work in my part of Africa.

I quite agree about sticking to the terms of a contract, as far as that goes. My quarrel is with a certain piece of legislation, the Age 60 Rule, that I hold to be discriminatory.

Anyone who wants to call me a whinger or a hypocrite, well, you must have a wonderful degree of perception to be able to read my innermost thoughts and feelings just from a few postings! And no, it's not that I drank all my dough away or went through three wives or anything you might like to find morally reprehensible, either. Wife Number One (and counting) is a German dentist, so that, in strict financial terms, you can KMRIA. I could go home and enjoy a comfortable life, except that I don't really enjoy a comfortable life. I actually like flying in Africa.

The mischief comes when one tries to find other work. This age limit just kills one's marketability, even though I am not in the target group, US airline pilots. Jeez! All I want to do is go fly in the bush somewhere. You can keep your precious airline jobs, since they are obviously not for the likes of me, squabbling over seniority and cheese boards and what-not; I just get ticked off over the idea of being grounded when I can still work.

I prefer to stick to the strongest argument against the Age 60 Rule, that it is discriminatory. Once discrimination was okay, and now it's not. So let's let this rule go the way of 'Whites Only' and various other ideas that have gone out of fashion. There is no young guy waiting to move into my seat, believe me!