PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of ATPL theory results?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2005, 06:21
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by G-SPOT

i dont, although from my experience of running a business, you take dont bring in every applicant who has sent you a cv, you bring in the one with the best qualifications.

I think its important for people to realise that not every one can be a pilot, it takes a special kind of person, not the kind who enters into name calling on internet forums "spotty".
When airlines requires new pilots, they list among its requirements that applicants require either a 'frozen' ATPL (ie a CPL/IR with passes at ATPL ground subjects), or an ATPL (ie the above plus 1500 hours). They do not ask you to reveal your exam results but they do, through your holding the required licence, ask you to show you've passed the exams. Having the licence is all you need to do that.

Selection of candidates for interview is based on many things, and some of them can be a bit esoteric. Not having a licence (or any of the other basic requirements) would obviously exclude you automatically. For those pilots with no relevant experience, educational qualifications may come into play. However, ATPL exam results (other than a 'pass') generally do not. I can't say they never do, because someone will find an example of a company that once asked for them, but I have never heard of a company that does - and I've been in this business for some considerable time, as Pipergirl kindly pointed out. Now I feel old!

As for that 'special kind of person', G-SPOT (that better?), do you think you're one? Really? If you regard 'Spotty' as name-calling, I think you may have to work on your sensitivity issues!

Scroggs