PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving flight safety in the future
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2005, 20:53
Sven Sixtoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Design safety - in the helo world we are making huge strides. The next generation will have icing clearances that actually mean something, OEI performance most if not all of the time (OK the Wokka usually has it now at the push of a button), true duplex AFCS and hydraulics, crashworthy structures, redundant load paths in primary components, proper engine response, controls with some design input from the ergonomics people, decent seats and harnesses ...

Operational safety - I think we are again doing OK. Despite the ever-expanding environmental envelope, we are approaching the limits in a considered manner, with more focussed training and a much more mature attitude across all experience levels than I remember as a 1st tourist.

Where I fear it may come apart is that the operational pressure will increasingly lead to either "Managed" (=accepted) risk, or risk carried because the formal "managing" process is just too difficult. The engineers seem to be drowning in paperwork to the detriment of concentration on the important bit, the continual battle for spares for our old and knackered aircraft is debilitating to aircrew, engineer and supplier alike, the admin support is on a 3 1/2 day week which really annoys the 24/7 bits of the Service, and the balls to shout STOP (or AVA-A-AST if you are dark blue) seem to be scarce indeed.

When I joined I calculated the odds on living through 16 years on FJ (based on the recent accident rate at the time) as about 4 in 5. By the end of those 16 years that had gone up to about 99 in 100 for the next 16. So we were really succeeding on the safety front. I am unconvinced that we are maintaing the rate of improvement, and right now there are bits of the Service where I fear we may be going backwards.

I'm mildly worried, but that may just be onset of old age. I hope so.

Sven