PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Australia Airlines
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2005, 02:18
overhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to fly -

Every airline staff member is somewhat bitter towards their employee - morale at Qantas Long & SHort Haul is low, DJ morale is low, JQ morale is low... it is just the nature of the industry that the grass is always greener on the other side and people feel that their company isn't giving them "enough".

From what I've seen,morale at eastern is somewhat better then other airlines in the country.

Having said that though, what do you actually want to be a flight attendant for and what sort of flying do you desire? If you want to be long haul flight attendant to "see the world" (and spend weeks a year sick, always be tired and never see your family) then being a regional flight attendant is not going to be terribly rewarding for you after a few months.

Regional flying offers a number of advantages over long and short haul work - overnights are usually not more then 5-6 a month meaning you see a whole lot more of your family then you ever would in LH or SH, the hours are great with a lot of day trips, it is a whole lot easier to manipulate or trip swap your roster, the work is lighter - with a lot less medical situations etc and while the money isn't as good, you don't actually work a whole lot (with the max planned at most regionals approx 32 hrs a week inc rsvs).

I've worked in SH and regional environments and regional airlines do hold a number of advantages - it's all up to what you really want and your lifestyle choice.

WHatever you do though, don't accept a position with any regional and end up complaining about the money and conditions for the next 10 years it takes you to edge your way into a long haul environment - people just that just ruin your day!

overhere