PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2005, 23:24
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I think the issue of fuel taxation is one of the major safety debates that there is at the moment. Why is flying so expensive? One of the major reasons is fuel costs, mostly made up of duty and VAT.
We all agree that people who fly more often are generally safer than those who fly occasionally.

So if we cut the cost, people fly more often, therefore G/A gets safer and more competent.
Now how do we lobby government?!

In France and Germany, there may be a similar amount of pilots, but I'll wager they fly a bit more than we do here. Overall I have often felt there is a different attitude in Europe to light aircraft and in general it is positive, rather than here where the BAA and other esteemed bodies seem hell bent on making life as difficult as possible.

Unfortunately I would have to say that many pilots (leaving out licence types here) can sometimes have a bit of an ego problem. I have certainly come across it, especially when I started teaching as a 22 year old. Invariably middle aged succesful business men who weren't used to having some young spod telling them what to do! Battles of wills were often inevitable. I'm glad to say I think I won them all though!

Maybe my view has been skewed by these experiences, but many don't seem to have the whit to work out what they don't know, let alone spend the time keeping their skills up.One way around this is to get rid of the biennial flight with an instructor and make everyone do a full skills test again. Not likely to be popular though. (except from the examiners financial point of view!)