PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2005, 18:20
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually we don't have a very active PPL fraternity at all in this country. I don't have the figures to hand, but the number of hours flown on average is very low compared to places like the states. Couple that to the very few who revalidate their licences as well, you have a picture that isn't too healthy.
The whys and wherefore's aren't the issue here however.

Just because an ATPL has thousands of hours doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or are still learning. I for one am very aware of the fact that I don't know it all and there are areas that I should increase my knowledge.

If you think a bi-ennial check ride keeps people safe, then you are sadly mistaken. It is nothing but a very quick snapshot that most of the time doesn't even touch on navigation skills.

I still think it is a bit rich to continually blame instructors for all the ills of the G/A world. Most of us do our best and (hopefully) do a good job in equipping people with the basic skills needed to keep themselves alive in their a/c. Keeping the skill level up is however YOUR responsibility. I will only step in when I see something dangerous or hear about some dodgy practices. I am however always available to my club members if they aren't sure of something or want some help, but not being a mind reader I often have to wait for them to ask.

I'm not so sure that it is new pilots who are busting zones etc. It is a real fact that for most pilots who fly very little, that they are at their best when they ready for test, why? Simply because at that stage you are usually flying intensively and as we all know, the more often you fly, the better you generally are. In my experience, new PPL's are often the ones I worry about least, since I am far more likely to know their capabilities and they seem to be more willing to ask for and listen to any advice.

If you have any proof that this is not the case I would be interested to see the figures.

HWD,
Hopefully ATC exists for the benefit of us all, not just the airlines who are picking up most of the tab. Actually I find it worrying that any group should get priority because of financial reasons, rather than on a needs basis. Not having a decent LARS service any more is a travesty and should be reversed at the earliest possible opportunity. Pigs will fly first unless the RAF suddenly have their budget quadrupled!