PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Backtracking?
Thread: Backtracking?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 21:49
A Nonny Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't mean to offend anyone (least of all any BA pilots)

I appreciate that brake temps are a problem, once saw a Aer Fungus 146 whiz down the runway for one of my colleagues in the days before the loop. He overheated the brakes, and because there were 3 packed in on final, we had 3 go-arounds in quick succesion whilst he limped off the runway.

The only thing that still puzzles me is why one BA 146 can be fairly expeditious whilst another can't (both with fairly identical turn around times and performance on previous landing - and I would imagine both with similar payloads)

As for rolling imediately, my understanding was that analogue 146s can't, but RJs can (don't they have fadecs which spot spool up problems quickly?). More times than I can mention Swiss and Lufthansa RJs have taken it on the roll for me. I would never ask BA to, as I have been stung too many times.

Check the books, if asked "are you ready immediate" pilots should only accept if they can line up (or turn at the end) and roll without stopping. As I have said, I have been stung too many times by BA saying yes, then pausing for 45 seconds thought before going brakes off.

On that subject, when lined up on 10, and told to "be ready immediate when the backtracking a/c vacates", why does it take another 30 seconds to roll when cleared for "immediate takeoff" as the backtracking a/c finally clears the runway (we can't assume as the yanks do - we have to wait until the lander is completely clear before giving clearance). Is it not possible to start spooling up as you see the lander turn left, and be ready to roll 15 seconds later as he is clear?

I must reiterate though, I never hold it against anyone for turning down an offer of expedition for the sake of safety. I just get p*ssed off with those who accept, then dither

Pointer: What's in a name?

I see you're flying 737s, bet they aren't as much fun as the 50s (especially on a tight visual)