PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military To Civil Experience!
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2005, 10:51
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no favours

My headline says it. No favours.

The two "disciplines" are greatly different. Even in transport. In the case of the RAAF B707 & C130, in the case of the RAF L1011-500 Timmies and Tommies, C130, C17.

Nimrod and Orion jump into mind and for sure how pilots interface with the tactical rear crew is immensely valuable experience.

Brother of a friend of mine flew army helos and you do meet fast jet and helo fellow aviators too. But I cannot underline how different management and flight deck attitudes are to anything I have experienced in the services. And probably a lot of heads are nodding. My daughter for one.

There is not a premium on pilots and many civilians young and old go to great lengths to achieve their goals of flying against enormous odds and often at great personal expense. Very commendable unless it ends in disillusion as sadly it has for another friend, barely forty.

I wasn't all that experienced when I left to go civvy. I had multi-engine turboprop experience, but in civvy started on tiddlers right at the bottom, ultra short haul island hopping in tropical weather. Boy!! And worked my way up, making some luck and grabbing the rest. Airlines do not beat a path to the Flight Lieutenant's door anymore.

The Rolling Stones sang "You can't always get what you want", the Chinese say "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it". I say "The second mouse won't get the cheese if the first mouse avoids the trap".

These days to stand your best chance of a good aviation career be in good health, be nowhere near the minima, start early and learn to spell. Okay I made that last one up.

I'll get me coat

Good Luck

The "E"