PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with difficult Captains
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2005, 11:41
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since my last post I have picked the brains of many senior Captains and found that most approved the method of intercept for the outbound course. However, a couple did not agree.

The experience has now taught me to ask more detailed questions about the approach, especially entry procedures!!!

The approach was into the Philippines where 250Kts below 10'000ft is NOT a requirement.
Now that I have thought about the events further. I believe the captain did know where he was and knew he was too high, thus a reason for keeping the speed so high. I also think he was relying on local knowledge/EFIS to keep the a/c away from terra firma!!! STILL, I DON'T APPROVE!!!
Sadly my airline has many 'YES, SIR' FOs and "Shut-up and watch" Capts. because that is the culture. And at this point in time I do not feel confident reporting to the company, as I am seen as very disposable to management.

Next question: would I take control from a captain? YES. A couple of days ago I reached for the controls when a captain didn't respond to a Mandatory "Go Around". He must have thought he would get away with it, thats was until he saw me move to take control. Go Around completed as norm, but a very quite flight deck on the return sector!!!