PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi pilots to call crewing at end of every duty day
Old 9th Sep 2005, 22:27
Mr R Sole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acbus1:

Then we have a group of non-bmi aircrew. If you don't or haven't ever worked for bmi then you have absolutely not the slightest concept of the degree of the problem. What goes on in your airline (and I have experience enough to be able to comment) is just a taster of the sort of thing going on in bmi. So why don't you lot butt out as well. You're doing your bretheren in bmi a disservice by protesting that your life is just fine. Lucky you.
My last employer had shocking rostering stability, far worse then could ever be imagined at bmi. We didn't have the practice of phoning ops when we landed and it was a pain in the backside. Many crews refused to answer calls from crewing when not at work - which they are prefectly entitled to. This left standby crews resorting to the fact that their standby duty was not safe. I recall once getting called out on a standby and operating and then heading home and then getting called out when I got back home! I recall one evening returning home after a tiring day on a late. I was in bed assleap when 10 hours after finishing my duty my phone rang which woke me up from a deep sleep. I answered it since I was up anyway and it was a roster change and probably one that could of been passed onto me if my last airline had the practice of phoning crewing once you land and before you finish your duty.

My new company has the policy of phoning crewing when we land and this is works well since I would rather be told whilst I am still at work if I have a duty change which is rare. This avoids crewing trying to call me in my time off which is a bonus. If I have a standby rostered for the next day and I am on a early (for example) then I like to know in advance instead of 5hitting the bed when the phone goes at silly o'clock in the morning. The process of phoning crewing works well and normally the forst back to the crew room phones and any changes (which are rare) are passed to the rest of the crew.

But if it is really as bad as you say it is, how do you expect bmi to recruit anyone to solve the crewing crisis? Sitting beside a moaning sod for a days duty doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm! I have always thought that bmi mainline bus drivers sound pissed off on the R/T... told one to cheer up one dark and quiet evening at ABZ whilst he was taxying out - needless to say that he didn't bite!