PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Runway Questions???
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2005, 22:17
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priority for Concorde on LHR rways.

Slightly off topic, but related to the way that LHR swaps the runways.

I recall once departing on 27L, it was in winter and dark so perhaps around 5 or 6pm.

We were in a queue to depart, a local flight to MAN so had taxied from T1 and I had an F seat so could see down the larger part of the runway.

But then came a slight delay. The reason given for our delay by the captain was that Concorde was inbound and that those on the right would get to see her land, those on the left would see her taxi.

Sure enough in she came on what would be 09R for her. Then the queue started to move again and 27L became a departure runway once more.

My question is: did Concorde usually get special privileges - in order to expedite landing and get to T4 asap? Or was this an unusual occurance?

Another point - I was delayed by almost 2hrs tonight departing to MAN (again!) after the deluge around 1600hrs. As we taxied past T5 to 09R it did make me wonder just how much more congestion will T5 bring on days like today!!! Big thumbs up to the BMI crew - from 09R line up to touch down at MAN in less than 31 minutes - way to go!