PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex Recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2005, 01:26
Legal_Counsel

On the Contrary

Rex is an excellent position to exploit the virtues of casual employment without the threat of pilots leaving. The training budget can be tailored on a climbing scale to ensure only the best pilots reach senior positions. You can pay a Rex Captain training captain say 80K but a line Captain should be on no more than 40K pa.

Regional aviation needs fundamental changes to be made to reduce the cost of travel. Operations similar to road bus or coach would seem to me the way to go provided the quality of applicants is carefully screened and competencies addressed.

Pilots in Australia generally get big heads that they are above the rest of society and I think that has to be beaten out our culture. Yes, make sure all the safety features are in place but if you train more pilots and flood the market with them, you will see a much better served Australia. Frankly I believe a 737 Captain should only be on about 50K.

These are tough calls, I know, but the quicker we get to that level the better for everyone.