PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian cable car accident - Update
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2005, 14:04
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The issue isn't single engine helicopters, flying at night, or flying offshore. Those have to be safety issues addressed by the individual operator and regulator. Helicopter accidents are not limited to single engine helicopters, helicopter accidents are not caused solely by engine failures or power loss.

The issue here is flying external loads over the general public, who should deserve a degree of protection provided by the Operator.

I have never suggested that helicopters be restricted from performing this type of work - believe me, it forms the majority of my business. All I have ever suggested that a basic safety requirement of ANY external load operation requires that overflying people, or occupied buildings is a totally unacceptable practice.

If you are trying to suggest that there is no way of hauling a load without overflying people on the ground, then respectfully, I totally disagree with you. It is possible to stage and deliver the load without exposing the public to any risk. If it means flying an extra 5 or even 10 minutes with every pick, then so be it. If it requires that the cable car be shut down for the duration of the lift operations, then that sure seems to be a practical option to me. It is up to the Operator to ensure and INSIST that this occurs. The operator understands andf quantifies the risk, a cable car operator may have no understanding of the risk involved. Ask that same question of a cable car manufacturer or constructor and I can GUARANTEE you what the determination would be. That is because they use helicopters to construct them and have a complete understanding of situations involving helicopters that would influence that decision.

External load operations are a safe and extremely efficient means of performing a large variety of projects - otherwise they would never occur. That doesn't mean that the risk cannot be managed. In fact the rarity of accidents of this type demonstrates specifically, that the risk is effectively managed in these kind of operations.

All the other issues you raise are indeed important safety issues, basic safety issues that concern every operator. The issue here is specifically safe operating practices whilst performing external load operations. It is not the FAA (or any other agency), it is not the customer, it is not the owner of the property involved. It is the responsibility of the operator, who is ultimately responsible for planning and executing a safe operation, that protects everyone outside the operation, from exposure to risk from the act of that operation.