PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 17:03
Final 3 Greens

At what stage does a pilot become lost?

You seem to be incapable of understanding that (a) I agree with you about 'fessing up immediately if lost, but (b) recognize a situation which is not lost, but becoming concerned about maintaining positional awareness based on the current situation, i.e. flying into increasing haze and having difficulty seeing the features ahead that would relate to the map.

So when does the pilot become lost? 10 minutes after the last firm fix against feaures, 11, 12 13?????? After all, the pilot has a VFR log that is up to date and has worked so far.

It seems to be that you are suggesting that someone should plough ahead and only deal with the situation when lost, by which time CAS may have been bust (an offence) or some other damage done.

Frankly, I think that your attitude is remarkable for a professional pilot and shows very limited capability of differentiation between the shades of grey that are present in life.

There is a great deal of difference, IMHO, between LYING about being LOST and using a training fix to avoid becoming lost.

The two things are subtly different.

I have used the training fix approach once since 1994 and never bust CAS, despite a lot of xc around the Stansted zone.

Its a record I am proud of and I believe that your thinking is flawed.
What next? Turning off your transponder if you think you've bust controlled airspace? Asking for 15 degrees to the left to avoid weather that isn't there? Following IR minimas when you only hold an IMC rating? Flying out of club currency and forgetting to mention it?
Whcih if these is offically sanctioned? More illogical and inflammatory comment.