PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 15:54
Emergencies R Us

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're lost, please call us on 121.5MHz.

If you think that you might be lost, the same applies. I don't see any point in carrying on hoping that you see something that you recognize.

If you're lost and call for a training fix, or a practise PAN saying that you're temporarily uncertain of position, unless you're a good actor or practise making calls on 121.5 very often, we'll know you're actually lost. You can tell by the voice!

If you call for a trg fix, either using DF or radar, you'll be given your position relative to the nearest large town and asked whether you require any further assistance.

If you tell me that you're lost I'll tell you all the above, but will radar identify you (if I can) to make sure that everyone else stays out of your way. I can give you a radar service or organize one for you. I can start tying your position in to what you can see out of the window so that you can start re-gaining your situational awareness.

It is not a sign of weakness or anything else if you call us on 121.5. Do I like the idea of people calling practise PANs on 121.5MHz? Yes I do; however, I am mindful of the arguments against it by the GAT fraternity. There is an obvious solution to the problem which has been suggested before. But until you GA guys (who have a big voice) and the GAT guys start asking for it, there won't be a solution.

Happy flying!