PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local Pilots (HK)
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 14:54
Taikonaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'If the mountain won't come down to Mohammad then Mohammad must go up to the mountain'!

I agree with the statement above 100 percent.

Here's another take on all this. Why limit yourself to CX? Seems like you are looking for an easy way out, living in HKG, flying for CX, the rest of your life is downhill through the primrose path...

If you want to fly commercially bad enough, you will find ways. It took me 10 years but I found mine.

I'm Asian, raised in the US. Got all my licenses myself, Comm, Multi, Instr. (self sponsored if you will).

Left the US with appx 250 hrs. I've worked in Asia doing bush flying, worked in Europe, Africa, Mid-East and now the US.

Yes, I've paid my dues and I climbed that moutain. It took me about 10 years to go from 250 bush flying hours to a widebody Captain.

It all boils down to how bad you want it. Some are luckier than others and that's the way life is.

If you fail the CX cadet program then try to apply as a DESO. What? you don't have enough hours? Then go get it.

All the DESO and DEFO that apply with CX, where did they get their time from? By working for various outfits throughout the world.

When I came here to Asia 10 years ago, I dreamt of working for CX but since I'm not a Hong Kongian or nor do I have enough hours to be eligible but I sent in my application anyway.

Now 10 years later, armed with my old PRN, I'm giving it a shot as a DEFO, may be I'll get it and may be I won't. But the important part is that I got myself here.

Sacrifice is the name of the game in aviation. We have all paid our dues. You will miss many New Years, Christmas', Thanksgiving and what not. You might not even be living at home with you family but if commercial flying is what you want then the opportunity is all there for you to take.

I have lived in the worst parts of the world and so have many of my colleagues. We have questioned our decisions in regards to career as pilots many times but the passion for flying always wins out.

Remember that you can always accept your fate, complain and whine or you can go out and do something about it. Heck, you might learn more about life along the way.

'If the mountain won't come down to Mohammad then Mohammad must go up to the mountain'!

Last edited by Taikonaut; 7th Sep 2005 at 15:17.