PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 14:07
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus I have to monitor 121.5 every working day. I have no problem with the r/t calls I might miss or have to be repeated because someone in their Piper is suddenly lost. I have a big moral problem though if they are asking for a training fix, being denied, then asking for real.
There is an increasing trend for 121.5 being used to try and call airliners who aren't monitoring the control frequency, have gone to the incorrect frequency and don't have the common sense to revert to the previous one when all is silent, are not listening where they should be due to other finger trouble, or the captain has gone to the loo whilst the FO is talking to company (yes, the last one did really happen).

Perhaps a few fighter launches with all the appropriate costs being sent to the airlines involved might help focus the minds on this particular un-needed use of the emergency frequency On average there is a loss of comms for a prolonged period in these circumstances at least once a day in the UK, and it's getting worse.

Back to the topic, if you are lost (or uncertain of position), then make that call to D&D. Don't dress things up to try and save face, just tell them the truth and they will do what they can to help you out. It's a no brainer.