PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training fixes
Thread: Training fixes
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 09:15
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 166 Likes on 64 Posts
Horse****.

If you don't KNOW where you are then you are LOST. Its not tricky, difficult or hard to understand.

What you emphatically are not is in need of is a Training Fix.

A Training Fix is what I the instructor ask for in the process of teaching you the student how to contact 121.5 in accordance with the the LOST procedure. You are not entitled to use it. Or in this case abuse it.

D&D can and do have a different repsonse to a Training Fix call and a Lost call.

The information given by them to a Training Fix call tends to be of a less detailed nature particularly if they are busy. They possibly won't add in extras such as 'beware of controlled airspace 3 miles to you 2 o' clock'. They may not ask about endurance or other things and will assume an instructor is on board.

You are also skewing the statistics of D&D calls.

D&D has to justify its expense and if a significant chunk of its workload is falsely thought to be training and not actual help work then this weakens the funding arguments for D&D.

Plus I have to monitor 121.5 every working day. I have no problem with the r/t calls I might miss or have to be repeated because someone in their Piper is suddenly lost. I have a big moral problem though if they are asking for a training fix, being denied, then asking for real.

Occupying 121.5 is a serious business there are THOUSANDS of ears on that frequency at the same time as being on the frequency controlling them.

I'd make it an offence for anyone without an FI Rating to ask for a training fix. In fact I am writing to the CAA SRG today to ask for that to become a UK rule.

There is NO harm in using 121.5 if you are lost and there never has been and nobody cares least of all the CAA. Every PPL should be taught that.

Mind you though that VFR nav is supposed to be just that. Its no good only being safe IF you can use the navaids and 121.5 because I've had total electrical failure 3 times in 1500hrs of light aircraft flying. Twice through failed Alternators and one through electrical smoke and having to turn everything off.

Its mk1 Eyeball, the map and some confidence in what you are doing that will save your life in that situation.

Not cheaty weasley tricks and lies.

Cheers