Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2005, 02:56
havoc

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
407 engine/transmission ?

Long story for maybe a short question:

(Bell 407)

During preflight I found the upper deck was covered in fluid and the transmission fluid level in the sight gage was maxed. The aircraft had just returned from a one hour flight, the off going pilot said he had not noticed anything unusal.

I called the on call mechanic and he said he serviced the transmission fluid with what he indicated (said, failed to write it up) with one pint of fluid. It was nothing major and would vent out to the level the transmission needed.

Cleaned up the mess and did a ten minute runup to ease my mind, and nothing seemed to be leaking.

Next flight same thing, messed up deck and maxed out fluid level.
Transmission pressure fluxuates at the low end of the green arc (2 light bars, chickets) but in the green.

Engine oil pressue at the top of the green arc. Fluid level lower then on preflight but only slightly.

This am the mechanic sivened of some fluid to get the transmission sight gage level mid range.

So the question came up in discussion:

If the oiler cooler had an internal leak allowing the engine oil to seep into the transmission, would you see and indication on the pressure instruments?

The mechanic assures me in this case he overfilled the transmission but said the second option could be a bad seal.