PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian cable car accident - Update
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2005, 17:46
Recuperator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Surely not...

Anyone, while doing external load work, using a cable car route as a line feature, up the mountain and fly over it, along it, while it is in operation, must be stupid and very inexperience.

I am sure this wasn't the case here?

And if he had a dual check as stated by a senior more experienced pilot, I am sure the obstacle would have been mentioned and discussed and crossed safely and not followed up the mountain. But we do not have any information with regards to his routing.

Furthermore it seems like all aspects of the operation was approved and covered.

Crossing the line feature or the cable car route at an angle at a 1000 feet above the cable cars seems safe and considerate to me. If it was me crossing the cable at 90 degrees, I would have seen it as an acceptable risk, even more so flying over at 1000 feet up.

South Africa is strict with it's regulations about external load operations in CBD's, but even after the accident, companies still did it, but first you had to demonstrate to SACAA the operation could be done safely, including safe contingencies were in place and entry and exit routes would be adhered to.

Recent ops in Sandton, Pretoria University and at Johannesburg International Airport comes to mind. So I disagree with your statement Gunns that it isn't allowed.

Best of luck to the pilot and the company.

But one thing I can't believe form Time Out's post:

Roy Knaus, the head of the Heli Alpin Knaus helicopter company, said he believed the pilot had had no idea that he had lost part of his load.
If you fly a SA315B and you lose a load of 750 kilograms and have been flying with these loads for 4 hours earlier, you WILL definitely realise you have lost the load.