PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cork-Dublin/Gatwick from 24th November
Old 6th Sep 2005, 14:24
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair are in the business of flying their aeroplanes into airports that have very low costs for them and in snn's case the airport are in fact giving Ryanair a kickback for marketing to begin new routes!

With flights from Cork to Dublin and Gatwick Ryanair will be paying the top prices from day one. What a strange new philosophy from Ryanair? So much potential new opportunity for Ryanair to get good deals from Cork to fly new routes but Dublin and Gatwick is as much as Cork can achieve? Frankly, this beats me. I am unable to get my head around it at the moment. Was the Cork Airport Authority involved at all in Ryanair's plans or is it conceivable that it could be a solo run by Ryanair? In any case it is GUBU?

It is my understanding that Ryanair needs to hire a lot of captains and that contract captains are earning very good money. This must be affecting Ryanair's bottom line? ORK-DUB and ORK-LGW are interesting in that both routes are of short duration so would be very good experience builders for first and second officers to help bring them up to captain levels in terms of hours, landings and takeoffs. Plenty of marginable weather at Cork to practise crosswind and low visibility approaches!

This is getting more and more confusing!