PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian cable car accident - Update
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2005, 11:07
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gunship old mate,

i'm not a special mathematician but i would bet the feasibility of hitting the 2,5 inches cable with a 750kg cup of concrete falling from 1000ft on flight speed, yes it was a direct hit, is lower than the feasibility of an engine failure or other technical problem. If we want to avoid such "one - in a - million chances" we have to stay in bed. Compare it with the AS 350 news chopper accident in the US. Pure luck that on that accident no other people were hurt or killed. Have the news operators now to evacuate the whole city before acting over it?

I come from a safety background in aviation and can be a pain in the ar$e on the subject)
Thats a really good word from a guy in your business. how is the Mi-24 going on?

Got a call from Austria, the hook seems to be mechanically in good condition, investigators looking now to an electical failure or as normally to the pilot. The load was lost from the hook, after the flight the hook was found opened.The pilot is 35 years old and with 850 flighthours and only 150h external loads not so much experienced. But that means nothing at the moment! Hauling concrete is a beginner job in the Alps. Because normally is concrete silent. The pilot was before the accident 4h on duty and before beginning single pilot operations 4 weeks ago normally checked out on external loads by an 11.000h pilot. The SA315B was flying round about 50kt.
On a first statement the authority stated that Knaus have all necessary approvements and there is no indication at the moment of a management problem.

Last edited by tecpilot; 6th Sep 2005 at 11:44.