PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over wing exits
Thread: Over wing exits
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2005, 00:06
ditzyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shortm -
What I was trying to say was that I have seen crew tell people they are "too old" to sit there. Or that they "would not be able to lift the exit."

We can always find other ways to move pax and I agree some pax are more suitable than others. Though we do NOT possess the qualifications or authority to tell someone that they cannot lift 'x' kilos and use that as the reason for re-seating. All we can do is move them using some other reason. That was my point.

There is a flight attendant being sued currently for making such brash statements to a customer.

Whilst I will try to discourage those from non-English speaking backgrounds or little old ladies from sitting at an exit I will never move someone if they constantly reassure me that they understand and are capable of performing a function.

It is not in my job discription to prove people wrong or brand them as liars. I had a man tell me his son was 15. I asked the son and the man twice again as I did not believe them. I told them they were making a statement of good faith that he and the boy were adhering to CASA regulations/federal law. All but one of my crew agreed to leave the situation there. One girl said I should be checking ID and what not. I just don't think it is my job or my place to be proving pax are liars in this instance.