PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Local Pilots (HK)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2005, 08:23
hekokimushi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with your post regarding non-fluent english speaking asians. but there are a lot out here whom lived their life in a western culture. English as our first language. And introduced to the world of fun... the private flying... and wanna go commerical. but... as u mention... the training cost is just like extordinary high... for anybody anywhere in the world (specially in the UK). hence it comes to the cadet programmes. i am a PPL... self funded to this affordable level, 3 years of savings with a full time and part time job.

then... thought i have all the key factors to re-apply to the cadet programme with the airline everyone wants to work for. but i found myself another failure letter, after proving i can handle the flying bit, the organisation bit. but not the other bits that they exercise during the selection programme... i am an engineer... so i can analyse things... maybe something that they cannot measure during those exercises within 2-3 hours.

Lets not say if foreign language matters. i would think an British person... using mbar, zone penatration and circuits all life, flying in the US... using 2992, flight following and regular pattern would find themselve a bit unused to such "foreign" language. technical interview would not be a big problem i think.

I am not sure which Diseyland you come from... but the mickey mice here in HK, we all look at planes very close anyway to the airport... and you would probably be surprised how many of us are dreaming of flying. The ability to fly i find it is not harder than riding a bike. I understanding there are a lot to study for the ATPL but all text book stuff really, with some practices. anyone with a technical degree has already proven they can tackle textbooks and put it into experiements. I am one of the lucky ones to taste flying and got myself a piece of expensive paper work that allow me to enjoy the priviledge to fly privately hoping to proceed further. a lot of them are only interested but can't get any chances. But saying that... i am also one of those unlucky ones... gained some priviledges... but cannot proceed further. for the locals here... there have absolutely no chances. not enough money, no military flying units. only 2 airlines. i think to succeed in hk one needs lots of connections and lots and lots and lots of luck.

Last edited by hekokimushi; 4th Sep 2005 at 01:42.