PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near misses at Doncaster / Robin Hood
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2005, 09:13
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sliding member

Agree with you and the sentiments of others, given the type of operation that at Robin Hood, there should be some form of protection for PAX flights. To get this, ie a minimum of Class D airspace, each airport has to reach an apparently secret level of annual air transport movements and passenger through-put. Last time I heard it mentioned the PAX through-put was 300,000+, at the time leaving places like Exeter out in bandit country- the open FIR. Hopefully Flybe's expansion at EXT will now help them to reach the required level.

I have never seen the magic formula published for consideration of controlled airspace applications by the CAA's Directorate of Airspace Policy, when I last enquired it was indicated that I was not to reveal my source!

If Robin Hood expects to acheive at least Class D airspace, if they haven't yet started work on it, they should now. From what I have seen of another major regional airport's current attempt to extend their airspace, the process is tortuously long with the airport having to go through many processes, including consulting everyone from parish councils upwards. In Robin Hood's case they will come up against MOD, who are not noted for their genorosity on controlled airspace matters.

A conservative estimate to accomplish the objective, assuming that the magic formula PAX/flights has been acheived, 3-4 years!
Best of luck all who fly there, and the poor controllers that are trying to keep it safe.