PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2005, 07:22
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 166 Likes on 64 Posts
If you can get onto something like the CTC Wings scheme which is coming bundled with a job placement at the end then take it. It will likely cut your job hunting down to zero and help you shortcut your way into a larger airline.

BUT. Most who apply don't get selected. Some of those selected don't pass and some that pass get chopped at line training. So its no golden ticket.

In all likelihood you will find yourself needing to pay for your own training at a school of your own choice. Then job hunting like everybody else.

You may choose Modular or Integrated. There are pros and cons and they are discussed elsewhere on these forums.

Personally I recommend going Modular as you have access to the best training providers this way. Also it is more flexible and nearly always cheaper.

I would far rather train at a school with say 4 aircraft and 5 career instructors based at somewhere like Bournemouth. Compared to training at somewhere with 25 aircraft and 50 instructors based at somewhere like Kiddlington, Jerez or Cranfield.

You are far more likely to benefit from instructor continuity, the same airframe, aircraft availability is usually better and frankly your are more of a customer and less of a number.

As for groundschool you are best off nailing most of that through distance learning and brush up courses whilst still employed in your current job.

In all I wouldn't spend more than £40k on all my training. I wouldn't give up my day job until I had the PPL and ATPL exams complete or very nearly complete. I wouldn't take more than 5 months to complete the CPL and ME and IR and MCC. I would then apply to airlines for 3 months and if no job arose I would spend £4.5k on an FI rating as there are quite a few jobs around at the moment.

Don't for one second think anyone is impressed by where you trained. Its the same teaching - all that varies are the charges and the hassles.

Good luck,