PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with difficult Captains
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2005, 10:47
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been studying!

I understand that it is hard to visualize the situation.

The reason why I did not approve of this turn is that during my training I was pulled up by the instructor for trying to complete the same maneuver.

I have been picking through Pans-Ops 8168 V1 & V2.
And have found this requirement, which I had known to be true.

(3.5.3 Entry. Entry into a reversal procedure should be from a track within +/- 30 degrees of the outbound track (see Figures 1-4-3-4 and 1-4-3-5). Where entry is desired from tracks outside these limits, suitably protected airspace must he provided to allow the pilot to maneuver onto the outbound track. This maneuvering will be in accordance with the entry procedures associated with a suitably located holding pattern , which must be shown on the approach chart (see Figure 1-4-3-6).)

Out of all the entry procedures recognized by the Doc. 8168, the parallel turn is obviously not considered a method of establishing one's self. Where as, the offset (base turn) and race track are recognized methods.

To recap, we tracked on the 230 Rad inb. to VOR, then 069 track outb. on the hold, right turn after 1min, attempted to establish inb. to VOR 069 rad. Sort of overhead VOR straight outb. on 249 till 7.7 DME, right turn intercept ILS course 271. Landed.

A Question of Speed
I had informed the captain that speed was high for the entry and the reply was 'It's OK'. Once again I advised that it could compromise the protected maneuvering area. I was ignored. I repeated the information calmly again. Captains reply 'I know it is OK'.
I left it, I knew the holding side had plenty of room for error. The turn was where I was going to put my foot down, because we would then be tracking towards terrain. He slowed during the turn to 210Kts.
Sadly my airline suffers every now and then from the KAL syndrome. And management are not very approachable, especially when talking about the Captains that they desperately need.