PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2005, 17:23
SIDSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr Wilkening's evidence says it all. There is NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE to support loss of licence at any age. As long as I can continue to pass my medicals, even if I have to do them more frequently or do extra checks, then I should be allowed to hold my licence.

The issue of pension plans/entitlements is an entirely separate one and has nothing to do with the age 60/61/62/65 rule as applies currently in numerous countries worldwide. An individual's personal financial circumstances are just that - individual to him. Sure he/she can have had bad luck during a career and may need to keep flying till 70! But that has nothing to do with ana arbitrary compulsory 'retirement' due to not being allowed to hold the licence purely on age grounds. US ALPA has been the real problem here. They have no interest in anything except their own members and I don't blame them for that as that's what they exist for and are paid by.

However many of those members who might have fully supported the 60 rule now have different priorities due to the majors being at last having to face commercial realities. That may mean the ALPA changes it's attitude to the rule but it really has no bearing on the basic issue.

An old friend used to say (at union meetings) that pilot always tood the 'broad view" How does this affect me!!

Its obvious that this still applies to many pilots.