PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tu104
Thread: Tu104
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2005, 20:45
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening Star.
The interior of the two TU154's I have flown in have echoes of the 'vaguely old fashioned stateliness' which you mention, but it made a pleasant change from the economy cabin of a mass transit wide body.

Whilst I don't know which Airlines you have flown TU134/TU154's with and I am aware that certain Airlines using Russian Kit do not 'present' their aircraft well, but the Siberian Examples were certainly not shabby.

I must admit I was hoping to see an Aircraft 'dump' at Novsibirsk, but my views of the ramp meant I only saw some late model IL86's TU154's and I believe a TU204.

Going back to the TU104. Real porcelain style toilets, heavy velvet window drapes. The cabin fittings seemed to be from the 1930's Orient Express school of luxury railway carriage design.
The interior was very different to the 1-11's, VC10's, 707's and DC8's which filled most of my day.

Aah the bulkhead door - Glass Nose - In the event of a pane going, the cockpit would depressurise but the cabin wouldn't.
Two pilots, Navigator and English speaking Radio Operator appeared to be standard, but I seem to remember 5 on occasion. Heavy crew.

Glass Nose useful for all sorts of purposes when flying over NATO countries, some having to do with Navigation (oh yeah), but on some Domestic and certain other routes probably did serve as very useful Navigation aid!

As for the Badges I think I have one somewhere, but it is reminder of my largely mis-spent youth, so it won't be for sale.

Pictures at Airliners net
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/561866/M/

This above is by Caz Caswell is from my time on the ramp at Gatwick
Plus it has a Donaldson Brit in the background and finally it illustrates the other feature of Soviet Aircraft the huge Radio Call sign.

But this one from Kjell Nilsson shows not only the chute deployed but the Glass Nose:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/559018/M/

Both show the anhedral wing so alien to those brought up on Western Civil Design.

Finally BUA, then BCAL handled only Aeroflot Charters (so Schedule Service Diversions were BEA, then BA handled) so we only dealt with two Aeroflot Directorates: Moscow and Ukraine.
This actually meant three routes Moscow, Kiev and Simferpol.
Of these the most attractive to dispatch were those from Simferpol

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know
DIH

Last edited by Opssys; 27th Aug 2005 at 14:08.