PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2005, 06:46
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were a rich man, deedle-deedle-dee...

Hey, if I were a 'rich pilot' do you think I would be sat here engaging in badinage with the spelling-impaired? When it comes to 'rinkles' my aged bod might have a few but then so does my brain! LHR Rain's would seem to be as smooth as a baby's arse.

Look, it used to be that people were often barred from work for being too old, too gay, too fat, too female or whatever. One of the last vestiges of that mindset is this age bar for pilots. When it was brought in the major airlines had a limited number of seats and a lot of potential pilots, so that it made a kind of sense, whether it was fair or not. Nowadays it makes very little sense, plus it completely fails contemporary tests of fairness.

Many unfair practices from the same period as this age legislation have been revoked so that it stands out as an exception. It is not that we are seeking an exception but that we are seeking to have an exceptional case of discrimination corrected.

Why I might want to continue working is my own business. It can be amusing to speculate about that but so what? I might enjoy coming up with some imaginary construct for the mindset of this joker, such as that he's just some little loser who lost his Shazza to a rich, old guy, but that's just a side-joke, just as it is very much beside the point to jeer at people who wish to continue working in their chosen profession wíthout bothering to think about the point under discussion.