PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2005 World Helicopter Championships (incl video)
Old 25th Aug 2005, 20:43
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freestyle event World Champs. Rouen

Hallo guys/gals out there.

First a thanks for the nice comments on my Rouen display in the freestyle section, but can I put a pennorth or two of info into the pot.

The French organisation was indeed sadly lacking, ie, echo sounders being used for more accurate height control, radiophones while in competition when the rules specificaly banned the use of electronic devices. Indeed, a photograph of the offending pilot was actually posted on the wall for all to see, but which was politically ignored by the competition director.

The fender flying section was expected to be flown into a stiff breeze that had shifted to a downwind position. Not the way I would have wanted to fly. Possibly even dangerous.

I understand Carolyn Gough Cooper, when faced with a sloping pot holed landing site, sensibly elected to reposition the R22 skids, only to be handed a penalty for landing twice ! All a bit sad. But her overall skillful flying got her a first place in the ladies section. Well done indeed.

Curiously the commentary was totally in French. It would have been nice for the non French speaking competitors to know what was going on too.

Turning to my own problems, I'd have to say that the display routine I flew was probably as good and technically correct as anything I have ever done, with a couple of new manoeuvres included. Trying not to sound too sour grapish, at the conclusion I felt I had a good place in the bag, only to be told, I had busted a display line and finished last but one.

For the record, I never ever saw the display box limits, since at 100 knots entering a 360 degree wing-over, there's precious little time to look for a one metre marker ribbon, pinned into the longish grass.

So prior to the event, I examined the published rules and the 500 metre square display box and established some easily seen competition area markers that co-incided with the published display area. ie the south westerly Taxiway one and the north easterly pax terminal building. I certainly did not bust either of those two lines. But I later realised that the published display box as illustrated was a rectangle !! Presumably the French idea of a 500 metre square box. Looking back I can see the markers laid down on the day, bore no resemblance to the published ones!

With significant VHF assistance from my display manager, we did end the routine with a full stop autorotation and a skid touch down to within a split second of the 'Bolero's last note slide into the A Major finish. Maurice Ravel's French music and split-second timing.... More brownie points or so I thought!

I was more than suprised though to learn that the MD 500 pilot who came within ten feet of disaster, following a fierce cyclic pull back when downwind, finishing yards and yards (sorry metres & metres) past some parked aircraft, was nevertheless placed above my own efforts.

Ah well.... that's aviation, and I've no complaints. Its all a bit like cricket, if the umpire gives you out. YOU ARE OUT, whether you were out or not.

Overall a great weekend's flying, and thanks to all those who worked so hard to get the whole event going and to those who supported our British Team.

Some day my Prince will come.

Oh and please visit the forthcoming Shoreham RAFA air show, 3rd/4th September. I'm dropping 1000 tennis balls from 1000 feet for my son's scholarsip fund. Please buy a ball if you come. And I've a first novel out, again for scholarship funds.

"Appointment on Lake Michigan" is just £9.95 and is a good helicopter read, if not a classic. Available on the net, from www.electrocution.com.

Keep rooting for rotors, you hover lovers.

Dennis K.