PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying suits & GA pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2005, 23:01
Alvin Steele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a pair of RAF flying gloves for pre-flighting this was because I was fed up getting silly niggly little cuts.........(you know the sort...the tiny ones that bleed profusely all over your clothes during the flight......and you don't have an Elastoplast)
That said, I do feel self concious about them and dont wear them in flight (apart from the time I flew a 152 with an oily throttle stem)
I completely agree about the nomex suits safety merits, but I'd feel a dweeb wearing one in one of the clubs DR400's, I wouldnt have a hang-up about them in a Cub, Chippie etc etc or in any type during aero's training.....but in your regular typical spam can I would feel self concious....but thats just me.
I did like the idea of the earlier poster of nomex trousers and tops designed more for the PPL spam can drivers, deffo a market there......Transair, are you listening?

On to light aircraft risks, I may be deluding myself, but I feel a hell of alot more scared during the drive to and from the airfield than I do whilst flying.
The cost,time and effort required to learn to fly eliminates many lunatics that driving a car can't, aside from the usual suspects in dangerous driving....the boy racer, you have idiots on mobiles, drink, drugs.....taking the row they've had with their 'other halves' out onto the roads....not to mention 'visitors' to the country who haven't passed a test or are driving on their own country's license...........then there are motorbikes.

Tim.....(you didnt really think I was called Alvin did you?)