PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2005, 08:10
Circuit Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Contingency - I see your point and know where you're coming from (I think!). Not sure we'll ever agree, as some of the benefits of the Corps are not directly visible to the workers of the RAF. Some are, however, such as proven (but I don't have figures immediately available) pass rate during basic training, a lower fallout rate during trade training and improved retention rate amongst those with a cadet force background cf DE. This is attributed to the fact that someone with a cadet background generally has a better 'big picture' of the RAF due to attendance at a few camps, has had the chance to experience flying (which was not always the case) and has made a more informed career choice - life in a blue suit is not quite such a culture shock.

The RAF Recruiters tell me that it does their case no harm to have cadets in RAF uniform in most communities around the UK, making up for the attrition of RAF stations - it keeps the RAF in the public view. As I said in an earlier posting, the 34,000 or so cadets (of which maybe 20% are 'churned' each year) also contribute to a presence in the community of people who have a basic appreciation of the RAF and what it does - they also have basic military skills and are less likely to flap when discussing things such as private weapons ownership, etc. They also have an 'air mindedness' and frequently some exposure to adventure training - they are more likely to get up and do something, rather than slump in front of the TV.

As I said, Max - not a dig at your comments and I recognise your valid views. I'm a professional engineer who has spent a long time managing a workforce - I am used to knowing when we can squeeze a bit more out and when the eyes say 'Full'!!