PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 21:50
aluminium persuader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the ATC were disbanded just think how many more bored, disillusioned teenagers there would be out there just dying to make your life hell. When you get a grumpy, spotty herbert in at 13 and kick them out a smart, self-confident individual 5 yrs later it makes it all worthwhile. If they join the RAF, so much the better; they'll have a head start.

An amount of VR(T) officers do give others a very bad press; I've been embarassed to wear the same uniform on occaision. IMHO, respect is due from VR(T) to regulars of all ranks because they are professionals (most of the time!). Just as importantly, respect is due from the regulars to VR(T) because they're volunteers. Would you do a full day's work, go home, pull on a blue suit & go out to sort out 30+ of someone elses kids?

I too was a VR(T) officer, eventually a Flt Lt squadron commander before I "retired" because bringing up two kids of my own and working shifts left no time for the squadron. I'm a wee bit (nicely)surprised at how much support is shown here by regulars. I'm an ATCO on a military field, tower + radar, PPL, IMC + multi-engine and have still been ridiculed as "plastic" by regular admin-secs! Grr! Yes, more support from regulars would REALLY be appreciated, but so would more from ACO staff officers. Giving a Fg Off a sqn with NO other uniformed staff when he lived 200 miles away and was only in the vicinity of the sqn Mon-Fri wasn't friendly!

Would I do it again? Not sure. PC'ness has taken a huge chunk out of the fun and added far to0 much paperwork. Ask me again when my son hits 13.

Would I want my kids to join? Damn right I would!
Did I mean ATC or RAF? Yes!