PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60 Battle vs ALPA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 17:51
LHR Rain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did those groups that "lost" their pensions give them up on their own accord? What I am saying is just because a pilot group or two gave up their pensions to "save" their airline does not mean we should raise the retirement age. Did you hear PAA, EAL or anyone other airline cry as much as the pilots do today?
Don't go comparing the U.S with the rest of the world. You and I both know that the Americans are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the world and if you start comparing the U.S to the rest of the world the U.S. is in a world of hurt and not just financially. The reason some of the world has raised their retirement age is because those countries don't pay their pilots anything. I.E Air NZ top pay for a B-747-400 captain is $100,000 a year! SAA is a little above that. Most if not all of the U.S widebody FOs make more than that even after all of the paycuts.
FBI has a retirement age of 55 as do the ATC controllers. The retirment age works. Again just because you were on furlough for a portion of your career don't ruin the whole industry. I am sure that you are doing fine now.