PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay As You Dine has emptied the Dining Room(Of diners)
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 14:25
Bob Viking

Received 639 Likes on 181 Posts
PAYD

Time to add my two pen'th to the argument.
I haven't read the whole thread cos it got a bit samey so at the risk of repeating other peoples sentiments I think PAYD is (or should be) a great system.
I moved out of the mess last year but was always thoroughly irritated by the amount of money I spent on meals I never ate. The main reason for my complaint was the completely inflexible meal times. I don't like to eat at 6 o clock and would prefer eating much later. The trouble with that is you end up with two hour old slops unfit for human consumption.
I think this all stems from the fact that there are now companies making money from our messes and they don't like PAYD because it erodes their profit margins.
If PAYD was given a fair crack I think meals should cost a little more and actually be cooked FRESH (ok roast meats/veggies being the exception) and to order, with a limited menu. I have lost count of the number of times I went into the mess and was mildly excited by the prospect of a Sirloin/Fillet only to be presented with something vaguely resembling Ghandi's flip flop!
It obviously didn't happen like that and so PAYD was not really trialled properly.
Hope that made some sense.
Not really sure how the RAF ever stood legally when you were ordered to pay for something you had no intention of eating just because you lived in. I would have prefered to live in but to opt out of the food and paid for a meal as and when I decided to eat it.
BV