PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Chestnut - Renewal of SEP Type Rating
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 14:27
Circuit Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Chestnut - Renewal of SEP Type Rating

OK, I know it's all been said before, but just wanted to check that I understood it right!

For a variety of domestic reasons, most significant being the arrival of BabyCB in Mar 04 (together with associated job moves and a house move from Scotland to Dorset), I am faced with one week before my PPL SEP Type Rating expires on 28 Aug 05. I have not flown since Mar 04.

I have been trying for months to get a spare few days in my calendar to fly a check ride and get the 12 hours logged and signed off. I now have to face the disappointment that in all reality, it ain't going to happen (particularly as elderly mother in law had a fall this weekend and has broken her elbow ). I could perhaps move heaven and earth, fly it off and get signed off - but I would not be a safe pilot.

I have read LASORS, which says:
Where licence holders have been unable to renew a SEP (Land) or TMG Class Rating for a period not exceeding 5 years from the date of expiry, they will be required to complete the following requirements:

i) The CAA will require no mandatory additional training. Applicants should complete training at their own discretion sufficient to pass the Skill Test.
ii) Complete the Skill Test in accordance with Appendices 1 & 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240 with a JAR
Authorised Examiner. The renewal of an instrument rating, if held, should be combined with the Skill Test.
iii) Pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the Examiner as part of the skill test.
Of course, JAR FCL1 is not readily available for viewing / download by mortals such as myself (such is the democracy which is the EU, but I digress ), but I have found this at On Track Aviation.

This seems to indicate that I need to do another Skills Test (in years gone by, it was an LPC, but I believe that that has been expanded). In all reality, it seems fair enough - hopefully, I wouldn't have to spend much more than the 12 hours to lose the rough edges that will have developed in the 9 yrs since I got my licence (and flown around 200 hrs).

Anyone care to tell me that I should rush to do the 12 hrs or that I've totally misinterpreted LASORS? I know I've been a fool to get to this situation, but the only spare moments in my life in the last 15 months have been with me so stressed / exhausted that I would not have been wise to fly, anyway.